View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #114
Pex
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamotide View Post
In Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy it is much better if you stop obsessing about the Gold Medal Victory and take your time clearing the map. Once you realise that the bonus rewards are negligable compared to the immense gain from even one unit making an extra level (since each level gives +1 stats and a perk, so in total more than most items), the turn limits stops annoying you.
The ultimate turn count, being bronze medal, is often generous enough to clear the map twice over.
Not to mention all the gold from capturing extra city tiles far outweighs the 200 extra from gold medal. Plus the good reward items are all in the second to last mission or so where it doesnt really help much anymore.
I'm a big Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy fanatic and the turn limit was the only thing that bugged me about the games, but now after about 10 playthroughs I like it as an additional bonus/gameplay option. And now after having played in all kinds of ways, I can safely say it is much easier to play hard and clear everything than it is to play medium with compulsory gold.
I can't get enough of these games, last month I had such an urge, I played through Fantasy Wars, then Elven Legacy, then Ranger,magic,siege and then all of them AGAIN! Gotta say my favourite is the magic campaign, the tactical options are very diverse.
I really hope the bring 10 more of these games to milk me Sims 3 style.
I totally agree - I discovered the same in the middle of the human campaign. In the orc campaign, it was actually very easy to get gold victory (played on medium difficulty level) for almost all missions, save for the second last one (in my opinion) as long as you choose good way to deploy your units. I haven't played the elf campaign yet.

And like with many similar games, you are struggling with gold (or whatever coinage in the game is) at the beginning of the campaign, when it's useful to score a few gold victories (and conquer all the cities/forts available), but at some point, you have more money that you can possibly use, so getting gold victory bonus is not important.

Still, saying all that, I happen to be an achievement junkie when it comes to games, so I just like getting those gold victories, if only to see what magic item they're going to grant me So it frustrates me that I can't always score a gold victory and capture all cities/forts.