View Single Post
Old 14-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #23
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek Dobrzyniecki View Post
No, they didn't. They used a large image for the cover's background, and sometimes added some little screenies on the cover. Take a look at those or those for instance.

Well, I'd expect the quote to say something about the game's quality, not just a random phrase picked from the description of gameplay. But okay then.

So, you're saying that Abandonia Reloaded is not a place for new and original opinions? Instead, we should repeat the same things that everyone know already and that have been said millions of times in the past? Because that's what your response suggests.
Point 1: Granted, some magazines didn't use single images, but a lot did (especially European ones). Besides, you're forgetting something important which stops us from doing the same anyway: how DID those magazines get their hands on large images? It's called press packages - PR people used to send these along with game previews and reviews. It contained huge images (often 3D renderings) of game characters or game art to use in covers & articles.

We don't have this advantage so we have to make do with what we have. I can't stretch a 200x100 image to cover a full page - it would look hideous and then people would have complained about that. The pixels would be the size of a pin! Unless we find some (unlikely to exist) site that collects these old press packages, we're pretty much stuck to using these smaller images, I'm afraid. At most we can contact the old publishers and ask for the old press packages but it's unlikely they still have them. But it's already a hard task finding images fit for the front cover - boxshots are the only bigger images we have and they're not even fit for stretching.

Point2: well when I skim through an article, I try to find lines that are fit for quoting but they're often either too long or don't make sense as a quote. I may take some extra effort to find a better quote but I can hardly rewrite the review to get some. We still have amateur writers here who do this as a hobby so you can't expect the quality of a professional magazine.

Point3: I'm not sure why you involve Abandonia Reloaded? Or do you mean Abandoned Times? The truth is, every oppinion or idea has already been written down somewhere. With hundreds of magazines all over the world and several columns in each magazine, it's unlikely for any new column to be completely new or original. Besides, it was mostly a nudge towards indie developers to not always go for 3D when they don't have to. If you feel you have a better, new and original oppinion to spread, just write it down and submit it!

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar