View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Anyone care to explain why that Security Essentials would be any good? Just the name scare me... Since when can MicroSoft be entrusted with any kind of security and actually do a good job???
Hmm if you don't trust Microsoft for security, why do you use their OS Windows? If the OS is unsafe your security will be bad even with the best anti-virus--and anti-virus programs are the least important element in computer security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Microsoft used to do a security package called OneCare. That was PERFECT! I LOVED that package. I haven't found anything I like as much as that one. But they stopped making it\updating it\supporting it a couple of years ago. *cries*
I think there must be few people who thought like that. :P I think MS stopped offering a paid product because they hadn't been very successful competing in the anti-virus market. They actually don't publicize MSSecEs a lot, if the Windows Security Center finds no anti-virus installed it directs you to a list of third-party vendors:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/49500

Now MS sticks with Windows Defender (which is now in Vista and 7 an OS component that you can't un-install) and MSSecEs. I don't know if MSSecEs is really worse than the late OneCare in terms of protection, or if it's customer support what they decided to dump as unprofitable.