View Single Post
Old 19-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #15
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tito @ Sep 19 2007, 12:37 AM) [snapback]311673[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Condolences are just an hypocrisy.
[/b]
Woudln't say so, no.

I mean , depends what happens, they could be, but I doubt they usually are.

Condolences are said to the people who were personally close to the decesed. I wouldn't call up Luciano's family to give my condolences to them, because I don't know them. I also wouldn't give my condolences to a fan of Collin now that he died, because I don't think he'd deserve them (even if he'd be devistated by the loss of his favorite driver), nor would I accept any condolences when Pavarotti died, because I'm not intitled to them.

But this still doesn't mean, I can't feel grief. Greif is a selfish feeling really. You feel the loss, because somebody who died has passed away. You don't feel sorry for the person who died (because he's dead), but you feel sorry for yourself (because you lost the person). Personally I really got emotional when I saw the performance of Pavarotti at the opening of the Winter Olympics of 2006 in Torino (he sang Nesun Dorma), because at that point I realized, not only how great and moving the performance in itself was, but also that there will never be such a performance again, so I won't be able to see or hear it. The era of Pavarotti is over.

Giving tribute and paying respect is another thing. I respect him for his musical achievements (I never cared for anything else about him, so I don't even know what kind of a life he lived) and if there would be a memorial concert at the time of his funeral (by some local tenors) I'd gladly attend (not just to give tribute, but also for the musical value of it).

For Collin McRee I wouldn't even open a topic, but since one was there I have posted in it. I do generally wish everybody to Rest in Peace when the time comes, because I wouldn't like anybody wishing me otherwise. It's not hypocracy it's piety. For the same reason I never tell jokes at a cemetary (although I sometimes go there for various reasons - not always paying respect to somebody) and I never really talk loudly while there. I'd find it hypocritical though if I'd be bringing flowers to a grave of a celebrity simply because I'd want somebody to notice me at the grave and maybe take a picture (like visiting the grave of Grace Kelly or something).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos