View Single Post
Old 30-12-2019, 10:36 AM   #469
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Were all games like this? - Alone in the Dark 4

Without Alt+Tab I have to rely solely on the game. And that doesn't work here either.

Can't save whenever I want. And there are no waypoints. Why can't I just save as a normal person?

I can't see jack shit. There's no minimap, radar, the camera angles are weird, the area is HUGH, things pop out of nowhere, there are no clues whatdto do, and what there is is misleading.
I'll tell the whole story.

So I picked Carnby, because having a gun seemed easy mode for this. Starting the two characters at entirely different places was a very good idea considering replay-value.
The intro is... Long. And despite more than one scene, you skip the whole. At least it is skippable.
You start facing A DEAD END. Why? Who cares. Let's move on.
Is that a passage, or just bad level design? The answer is: YES. Ugh. There's some door that demands some code - my bet goes I'll have to return at the point I long forgot about it.
Whatever, move on. What are the controls? Who knows! Does my flashlight have infinite battery? It does! Then why can I switch it off? And why can I aim it? Pretty badly? Sure I confuse this aiming with the gun's...
Ah, girl radios to me. Why can I activate the radio by myself, manualy too? This leads to button-confusion, to the point even when I finaly learn the buttons, because the cutsceens don't have the wide screen feature implemented, I again think I messed up, and start to fiddle around, just to figure out I did nothing wrong. But the game teached me I did. This leads confusion, confusion leads to frustration, frustration leads to game abandoned.

I keep going still. Cutsceen says some dogs will attack me. Then cutsceen shows nah, some monster ate the dogs! So the dogs must be my friend, right?
Whatever the case, I WON'T go where the monster went, it looks scary. And I can't save. So, can I go another way? Yes, I can. Let's check out.
Wow, weren't these two dogs eaten just yet? Mustbe two other dogs? I sure have to shoot them! What? Not? These dogs are definitely friendly.
I pick up some ammo, and medikit, nothing to do but following the beastie. Well, maybe the unleashed dogs delt with it. There's a long stairs, so I'll definitely go up via cutsceen., Nah, that's for pussies. VERY slowly Carnby starts to emo up there. Where's the run button?
I get up there. I immediately get confused by the leveldesign. Why I dun have minimap? Why are dogs assaulting me? Is that dog hurting me, or stuck in the wall?
I shoot them down and move on. I have no idea what am I doing, but sure doing it. Radio alert. Did I misspress button again? Who cares, this time girly tells some clues. "Living shadows"? Well, justaround the corner I saw a transparent beastie, which after a time disappeared. I used some bullet on it, and didn't seem to get hurt... So maybe they are foreshadowing ghosts. Note to myself: do NOT shoot transparent beasties, they go away anyway, and can't be harmed.
Turning just the next corridor, a portal opens, transparent beasty comes through. Crap, it attacks me! I have noidea where I am, so try shooting? Hey, it got hurt! How much ammo it needs to deal with it? I meanduring the cutseen the girl shot twice, maybe thrice and obviously got away. Why doesn't THIS die, or what? Whatever, I shoot. Health-meter? Check, it's still blue. Beastie got up? How? Until now dogs (and this beastie) got stunlocked by being shot! What?! Life meter got red? What, I'm dead?

Just fok off, game.