View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #55
methuselah

[font=Fixedsys][size=7]The copy protection codes for "Alone in the Dark 2" are based on a set of six cards, printed front and back, which dictate what keys (F1 through F10) must be pressed to unlock the copy protection. Each card has six or seven square holes. The first card of the copy protection code is placed over the second card. Count the holes from top to bottom, left to right. For the following example:

Four of Diamonds over King of Spades
Hole Number 6

the holes on the Four of Diamonds are located as follows:

Hole 1 Row 1, Column 5
Hole 2 Row 3, Column 4
Hole 3 Row 4, Column 3
Hole 4 Row 5, Column 1
Hole 5 Row 5, Column 6
Hole 6 Row 6, Column 4

When the Four of Diamonds is placed over the King of Spades, an Orange Diamond is seen through Hole Number 6. The card suit (Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs) and color correspond to keyboard inputs (keys F1 through F10). The key corresponding to the card suit is pressed first, then the key (or keys) corresponding to the color is pressed. The keys and corresponding values are as follows:

F1 Spades
F2 Hearts
F3 Diamonds
F4 Clubs

F5+F10 Red
F6 Yellow
F7 Green
F8 Blue
F9 Violet
F10 Orange
F11 ---
F12 ---

To unlock the copy protection code given above as an example, press F3 (Diamonds) and F10 (Orange).

The game's copy protection can be bypassed by using the crack provided with the download. The following batch file (AITD2.BAT) runs the crack, then runs the game's main executable file.

@ECHO OFF
AITD2CRK.COM
AITD2.EXE

To run the above batch file, you must first go to the folder (directory) containing the game files. The following batch file runs the game from the hard disk's root directory. I have stored the game files in the folder: C:\Program Files\AITD2. Change Line 2, if necessary, to target the folder where your game files are located.

@ECHO OFF
CD C:\PROGRA~1\AITD2
AITD2CRK.COM
AITD2.EXE

I prefer not using the game crack, because I have experienced problems with my video display when using it. Instead, I unlock the copy protection codes manually, using the procedure I have described. Also, I do not recommend using the game trainer that is available from some download sites. It is better to use a hex editor to boost health, ammo, etc.

A very good freeware hex editor is XVI32 Hex Editor by Christian Maas. Edit SAVE0.ITD, entering CA for the following hex addresses:

5E28 Thompson Ammo
5E38 Carnby's Health

These will give 255 of each item, making it much easier to get started in the game, which has been criticized for its high level of difficulty. Values for other inventory items can also be edited, including Grace's health points.

My English copy of the game freezes when Carnby enters the sorceress' bedroom. My French copy of the game freezes when Grace is at the top of the ladder and is about to go on the deck of the pirate ship. The same is true if I run the game under MS-DOS 6.22 or inside an MS-DOS window under Windows 98. Music is disabled in my English copy, but is active in my French copy. The game is much better with music.

I have made copies of the copy protection cards, which can be printed on a single sheet of paper. I will try to make them available on this website, or I can e-mail them to those who are interested.
methuselah is offline                         Send a private message to methuselah