View Single Post
Old 19-11-2007, 02:34 AM   #16
rlbell
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Nov 19 2007, 12:23 AM) [snapback]319528[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

@rlbell - That'd be a terrible way to get noticed for your writing. People are terribly selective and judgmental when it comes to writing, if anything, I'd write an original piece and get people to read that instead, rather than posting a bunch of fan fiction with no evident traces of effort into making original content that's technically well written.
Quite frankly, plot or story most times are minimal compared to characters and development of the theme, unfortunately, fan fiction's sole intent is merely to take existing characters and have them follow some generic plot or story without often putting anything of meaning into it.

[/b]
It is not that terrible. Eric Flint has a good slush pile reader who reads the 16XX fanfic. The best of it is editted into The Grantville Gazette. At least one edition of The Grantville Gazette was published in paperback. If you are good enough to get people to read your original work, more power to you!

My stuff would be unusual fanfic, as I have enough trouble writing for characters that I create and could not bear to have an author question me on how I put words in his/her characters mouth or made them do uncharacteristic things. What I have is an idea for a novel that is, among other things, an intellectual exercise to reconcile to radically different descriptions of hyperspace so that they can coexist, and a short story that takes some loose technological threads and weaves them into something that I found interesting enough to flesh out in twenty-some pages.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell