View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #51
humorguy
Super Freak

Well, I was sold on this mag just with the CONSOLITIS article! Never had that explained so clearly 'in print' before!

I really hop this ends up in retail stores at $3.99, so people can understand more clearly the history of PC gaming. Also,I am old enough that I worked in the PC games business back in the early-mid nineties and therefore saw the original reviews of many of the titles we look back on so fondly now!

I will most definitely be offering articles and reviews for this mag, as I have many of the classic games you carry on this site sitting on my shelves in their original packaging (see my comment on what went in the 5th Fleet box!), haven't yet seen how and where you want articles, etc sent, but I haven't looked hard yet as I just wanted to get this posted saying you are on to a great thing here and I am really hoping it goes from strength to strength!

I would make one recommendation, and that's to not call it anything to do with Abandonware. Un Dos Tries (The No.1 magazine for DOS that's free!) is a stupid title, but it takes us away from abandonware, which is not what this magazine is going to be about strictly, it's just going to be about playing older games on today's PC's and what was good or bad about them, both in themselves and compared with modern games. As long as it's title is Abandonwarish, it will only ever be a very small magazine on this site. With a more generic title, I don't see why it would not be carried by all the other abandonware and PC gaming history sites.

Search 'retro gaming' in google and you get a load on console gaming sites. The only thing on the web with regard the old DOS games, outside of abandonware sites like this, is where there are fan pages to individual games, series of games or publishers.

So despite how small and insignificant this mag is at the moment (no slight intended), it is the only magazine talking about PC gaming of the eighties and nineties!

With over 10 million DOSBox's downloaded (as of the end of 2008), there is huge potential for this magazine, and I would look at it's potential in a much more holistic way!

All I would say in closing, is with the publication of this magazine, maybe you can tweak these threads, so when reading from top to bottom of a page, and going to the next page in the thread, you do not have to manually scroll to the top of the next page to carry on reading!!!
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy