View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #25
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
I'd just like to pick up on these two points, for the first, I had assumed it was like that to make sure you weren't a superhero throughout, the fighting was supposed to be very difficult, and all the same rules applied to PCs and NPCs.
That's a very poor excuse for entirely random and unpredictable deaths. That. Should. Never. Happen. Full stop. It's one of the gravest gaming sins you can make. NEVER make you lose the game based on pure chance NEVER NEVER EVER EVER EVER. Well you get the point .

Realism has NO place in a game if it detracts from it - I already gave the radiation as example. Would you like a game where you contracted a deadly disease by accident, making you die without you being able to do anything about it? Well it's realistic but it it has no place in a game.

About the skills:
The computer skill was practically useless as well except for a few times and then it was hardly essential. I think one of the few times I actually could use it was near the end of the game. Combining combat skills is a bad idea as well - the game pushed people into using melee weapons at the start and if you focussed on another skill, it took a long time before you actually found proper weapons for that skill. That's poor game design - face it. The start is pretty damn dull until you got some proper guns. I died half a dozen times while fighting against those plants in the garden because my melee skill was so low for example.

The healing skill: add the doctor skill as well. You don't KNOW it will be useless. Many games have as best skills a healing skill (KOTOR for example) so how would you know? There's plenty of better ways to get healed up and I did end Fallout 1&2 with a gazillion stimpaks as well (*small dig at Blood Piggy*).

Last edited by red_avatar; 07-02-2009 at 11:10 AM.
red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar