Thread: Your Culture!
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2004, 07:01 AM   #23
FreeFreddy

Quote:
Originally posted by Puffin
This is a pic of my great great (couple of times more great) grandfather!
I have a list, that shows that I'm a direct decendant of him!
(Not an interesting list, just some stupid names!* :blink:* )

His name is Egill Skallagrímsson. He committed his first murder at the age of 3! There was a great story written about him, and it is widely known.

Egils saga

He's pretty cool....!* :w00t:* :whistle:
Wow, that's impressive. Interesting to know who were your predecessors.
Here in Russia there's a legend about Ilja Muromez, that was a great and mighty hero and had 2 friends that were mighty heroes too. Don't remember that exactly now, but there were stories about how he alone fought Mongoles when they came to Russia. His fought once against Throttle the Robber (I hope it's translated correctly, throtthe is that beautifully singing bird that everyone should know) whose whistle could throw the mightiest man over. But Ilja Muromez could withstand his whistle and finally defeated him. Those legends are based upon wars of all Russians with the Mongoles and the stories about Ilja Muromez against Throttle the Robber came from those prototypes.
Also there are stories about Oleg (don't know many details here) that fought agains the Hozars that conquered and robbed Russia. Those stories were rewritten by Pushkin too, I have his book here, but it's long time ago now that I read it...