View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 02:17 AM   #25
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Japofran@May 2 2006, 12:01 AM
I've heard that the new Windows Vista will eat over 1 Gb on its own, apart from the programs you'll be running, even the ones everybody has residing in memory like antivirus, firewall, etc. It was estimated that 50% of the computers wouldn't be able to use it, and I bet that most of the remaining 50% would run it slowly. I... I think this tendency's just crazy. Don't you?
I took a course in computer architecture design, and in the first lecture the professor commented that the demands that the software makes on the hardware increases by fifty to a hundred percent, per year, and added "Someone must be punished.". The reason being that code bloat is nearly keeping pace with the advance of hardware performance, so wordprocessing in MS Office12 is not much faster than word processing with MS Word 4.0 (but you do have more fonts and features).

This is also part of the unholy alliance between Microsoft and the big hardware manufacturers. Nearly everyone will have to buy new computers to run Vista. The hardware manufacturers are hoping that people will upgrade, but it is equally likely that people will just keep hardware and migrate to linux (If Vista does not run your old programs, and you have to buy new computers to run it, you may as well migrate to an OS that allows you to keep your current stuff).
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell