View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 11:33 PM   #28

Well, after three earlier failed attempts to capture a personal shield bearing alien alive I decided to go for broke and assembled a special strike team to assault a ufo and either succeed or perish to a man/woman.
It was going quite well and I decided to move in close after taking out the poppers. Then I noticed a green missile cruising towards me :help:
Ironically, this was the time I met my first entropy missile. I succeeded in the end, but I lost three brave soldiers (including armor) to those damn missiles - tactic suggestions anyone ?

For those of you who wonder why I slugged it out close and personal with heavily armored and shielded aliens, you must stun one of the aliens with a personal shield otherwise you will never get it and you're basically doomed. Personal shields are also the only thing that protect against entropy missiles as far as I know. And the silly sods refused to come out of the ufo so I had to go in and get them

On a side note, contrary to earlier posts I advise your vehicles to fly low instead of high when intercepting ufos. When firing at ufos they generally aim high and when they miss your laser/plasma whatever beam stands a much lower chance of accidentally blowing a building to bits. It generally saves me around $40000,- on bribes to transstellar after each battle k: Even better, the aliens will be firing downward, ensuring lots of damage to the city which is good for your public relations :evil:

A final tip, when engaging ufos, always use a pair of hoverbikes to lead the attack. The ufos will tend to engage them and they are extremely hard to hit. While the ufos are levelling the city shooting at and missing your bikes (which is good for your public relations) your heavily armed hovercars can move in and blast away at them at their leisure.

Cheers,
Lodewijk

p.s Question : if I overclock my dosbox (say 20000 cycles), will this make the game run slower than if I run it at a lower rate ?