View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 05:36 AM   #14
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

You are quite right. But this is directly related to Windows Vista, which pretty much in practice doubled the requirement of your computer without adding any kind of practical usefulness in return...

But you know, I know it was sarcastical and all but DarthHelmet is right when he says that new hardware is kind of crap. You would not believe the number of people who don't understand why their new game they purchased work crappily on their brand new computer... Until I explain to them that unless the game they bought is specially coded to use both of their cores they don't really have a 3.2 mhz machine running the game requiring 2.4 but rather 1.6 mhz trying to run a game requiring 2.4 to run decently.

Just today I had to explain that to one of my extended family member... Again.

This is greatly due to bad representation of the hardware. Salesmen either not knowing what they are selling, not caring or simply trying to shove down the throat of customers what they don't really need. I experience this every time I enter a shop which is supposedly dedicated to two dozains things at once like for example Staples Business Depot... You pretty much could throw a 20 sided dice to take a guess at how much the guy dedicated to the electronics (computers are part of that section!) know about what they actually sell.

Add to this that multi-core machines have been wrongly given the spotlight about gaming since that "improvement" got out... It is very easy to get mislead.

I often think that the DOS era was actually way, way easier and less complicated that what we have today. At least in that time when someone told you something you could reliably expect to know exactly what he was talking about since everything was either the same or under some kind of standard. If only everything in new computers could be as genius as USB ports we would not have as many problems.