View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #34
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpol View Post
Deer Hunter....

god how could that movie win so many awards...
I agree it's flawed, but it would have been good if the producer had done his job reining in the director, and cutting an hour of more off the movie. Michael Cimino was a prima donna and all his movies have the same problem to some extent.

Quote:
Cimino is frequently criticized by colleagues and critics as vain, self-indulgent, egotistical, megalomaniacal and an enfant terrible.[9][68] . . .

In writing about his experience working on The Sicilian, producer Bruce McNall described Cimino as "one part artistic genius and one part infantile egomaniac."[72] In his book, Blade Runners, Deer Hunters and Blowing the Bloody Doors Off, producer Michael Deeley described his experience with Cimino on Deer Hunter a "travail",[73] adding "the only flaw I find in my Oscar [for The Deer Hunter] is that Cimino's name is also engraved on it."[74] Deeley went on to criticize Cimino further for his deceit and lack of professional respect: "Cimino was selfish. [...] Selfishness, in itself, is not necessarily a flaw in a director, unless it swells into ruthless self-indulgence combined with a total disregard for the terms in which the production has been set." . . .

"As I see it, Michael Cimino doesn't think in terms of dramatic values . . . The whole thing is just material for Cimino the visual artist to impose his personality on."[75]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Cimino#Criticisms

He also likes to invent facts for his biography lol