Thread: RetroGameLand
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #21
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tervez View Post
And to think the only old game I really own is Ultima VII: Serpent Isle...

Don't blame me, I was too young to purchase stuff like that when they were avaivable!
With so many independent developers and plenty of competition in distribution outlets, PC games had lots of floor space back then. Easily two-thirds of a store three times the size of the current GameStop monopolies was given over to those games, with the rest devoted to applications. It seemed to me much more common back then to find adults searching for games than now, where young teens snicker (through their noses) if anybody over the age of 17 enters a game store. Whom do they think makes the games they play?

In fact, the game portion of the store was divided up by genre: RPGs on one wall, adventure titles over there, strategy titles over there, etc. And most games came with a lot of content back then, too: huge manuals, maps and foldouts, little trinkets, sometimes fake diaries, etc. Some of this of course still occurs, but usually only among indie publishers. I'm working my way now through the PDF manual for Forge of Freedom. Okay, it's not printed out in the download I paid for, but still, it's intense.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin