Thread: New XCOM
View Single Post
Old 18-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #8
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

I bought the game recently, and managed to put a few hours on it the last few days. Overall, it's not a bad game, but to be honest didn't manage to catch my attention for long. The tactical combat is good, behind the seemingly simplistic design there is an OK mechanics, which allow for interesting battles, and a bit of strategy thinking. The base/research on the other hand has been ridiculously simplified, and personally, I would describe it as a minigame with flashy graphics.

All in all, it's a simple game, with lots of movies. Personally, the lack of depth is a deterrent, and does not impress me. So, if you are looking for a in-depth strategy games in the line of previous XCOM's, I wouldn't recommend.

I have read the Tom Chick review. His dialogue with his past self is clever and amusing, but I have to disagree with his conclusions. He pretty much says that games today are oversimplified pieces, and that we should be happy to have this scenario (wtf?).

On the 'streamline' nonsense that plagues modern gaming, I was 10 years old when I first played UFO Defense, and only got attached to it because the complex mechanics amazed me, and I think that's what games should have.
jonh_sabugs is offline                         Send a private message to jonh_sabugs