View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #14
CatherineMcClarey

Unhappy Aargh! The data sharks are eating Scott.dos alive!

One of the last things your character party needs to do before leaving the RAM prison on Mars is to rescue Scott.dos (the digital personality that's been advising your party throughout both Buck Rogers games) from the digital sharks hunting him down in the prison's computer. In order to do this, a character has to make:
A) A successful Programming roll to access the computer;
B) Up to 5 successful Programming rolls to shut down the data cells; and
C) Up to another 5 successful Programming rolls to find the one where Scott.dos is.
If multiple characters in the party have Programming skill, you are given the option to have a second character attempt to complete all this; however, a second failed Programming roll in a row means that Scott.dos is "dead."
My problem is that I only had 1 character develop Programming skill, and it's only at a pretty mediocre level (33%); thus, it's extremely difficult (maybe impossible) for her to succeed at that many Programming rolls in a row.
If anyone is just starting one or the other of SSI's Buck Rogers games, a word of advice: It's possible to "muddle through" a lot in these games (especially in Countdown to Doomsday) with minimal to mediocre skills, but not here in the Mars Prison area. Be more long-term-thinking in your party's skills development than I was, and develop at least 1 character with the highest possible Programming skill (2 if you can manage it!).
If anyone's already completed this game not too long ago -- is it possible to complete the game if Scott.dos does get eaten by the digital sharks?
CatherineMcClarey is offline                         Send a private message to CatherineMcClarey