View Single Post
Old 13-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
dosraider
Dismembered.

Depending of what ver of W7/64 you have you maybe can get XPMode for free from MS ... however in my opinion XPMode isn't really suited for gaming purposes ... a bit too restricted.

On the other hand VPC2007+W98Se or maybe even better VPC2007+XP should work.
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=28390
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=25508
It ain't that hard to set up a VPC2007 virtual PC, just follow instructions.

..... however, problem could be you have a rip, dunno if game has software/D3D mode, D3D won't run in VPC or really badly, software mode usually do run fine for gaming, if software mode has been ripped .... aie, screwed again....

BTW, did you at least try what Fifth said about compability? Ya never know ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
..blah blah................
Metal and Lace 2 can run on Windows XP - I've done so myself some years ago - so the first thing you should try is running it in compatibility mode (context menu on the game's executable -> Properties -> Compatibility).
If that doesn't work, there is another solution: you'll need Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 and a setup disk for an older Windows version - anything from 95 to XP. MSVPC allows you to create a virtual machine and install an older version of Windows inside that, then run the game in it.....blah blah......
Problem is I can't find any relevant info about this game, even not on Dosfreak's comp list ... PC Game Compatibility List

As you mentioned 'downloaded', I may hope you scanned that download for nasty things with an updated avir-malware-spyware/somethingware scanner, yes?

And honestly, you didn't lose your precious time setting up dosbox/W3, is handy to have around and most W3 era games run fine in it....

[Edit]
Of course proposed solution of getting some old XP laptop still stands and can be an easy way out.
Dunno how it is where you live but here in Belgium those things are getting dropped by piles in the trash, many of them still working OK, just completely outdated ..... and as MS will drop support shortly, plenty ol'small office gear is to salvage nowadays.
Even if a laptop isn't really my thing for gaming, plug in an external keyb+mouse and you're set.
If you have enough room an ol' XP desktop is even better .......
Just think about it for a sec.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 13-02-2014 at 05:54 PM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider