View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Tito
Alley Cat

I don't think Pc Gaming is dying. What's happening is the contrary. Today Pc games are aimed to a wider public, with a bigger supply of titles and lots of marketing. So, if you want to find a game that fully fullfils your expetations, you'll have to do a bit of research before buying it, and I don't only mean reading a few reviews in some gaming magazines, but looking at different and objetive sources such as player reviews or specialized sites that can escape the influence of marketing and hype in general.

Another point is nostalgia. You've been gaming for many, many years, and that means memories. Don't expect a good new game to confront your golden memories of Pc gaming and remain victorious. That will only happen in a few years, after it has gone through the filter of time and it's been incorporated to those same memories.

About the design, I'm with havell here. There have always been issues with games about that. For instance, I remember all the problems I had running Darkseed back in the days when it was releasedl. On the contrary, I'm playing World of Warcraft right now (at the same time I'm writing this I'm traveling around the world in some flying beast) which is one of the strongest designs I've ever faced, in terms of gameplay, replaying value and technical issues. The same goes for Daggerfall (weak design, still great game) and Morrowind (strong design, great game too).