View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #18
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

About the dual/quad cores... Well, I have a 2 gigs mhz single core here. *taps his tower* Oh yeah, you nice computer. Who does this nice computer belong to? Huh?

*ahem*

It is true that if you have a dual core computer with two cores of 2 gigs mhz inside, your games using a single core will run just as fast as mine. And probably faster 'cause your OS will use the power of the second core to keep up with system resources and background operation.

The tricky part is, of course, to make certain that those dual cores are fast enough by themselves. No point in having a quad core with 1 gig mhz each if you're thinking of using DOSBox even if those four cores still amount to 4 gigs mhz, for example.

Even with my 2 gigs mhz computer, I wished a few times for more powers when running some games. And some single threaded games like Dwarf Fortress still ran pretty slow with only 2 gigs mhz... So I'd imagine it would be even worse with lower cores...