View Single Post
Old 21-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #196
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
How about a Cracktro?

In theory I think it should not be too much of a problem to put an intro on an exe. You just have to create a new one with a small prog, say a couple of K, that runs before it.

I havent made any myself but theres a forum Here with quite a few people who have been making stuff like this since back in the DOS/Amiga days. I'm sure if one of the admin from AB got in contact, people there would be would be happy to help you guys out
While I disagree about a Cracktro or such program which run everytime you try to run the downloaded program, I think that a small text file saying something along the lines of "This game is offered to you by Abandonia. If you didn't download this game free from Abandonia.com, please report leechers and link stealers at our forums." would be a great defense.

The leachers are going to link to the direct download anyways, so if someone who actually got had and paid for the game read about how free it's supposed to be, chance are that we'll end up with pretty angry users. Once redirected to the illegal sites in question, they'll more likely than not start to pressure it over time with the sheer amount of angry users. Even if only one out of five persons actually file a complain to their ISP or the police or whatever, it should be enough to give a hard time to those illegal sites.

The downfall would be that every single available archive on AB should be redone from scratch to add the text file, which is a huge time investment. That, and we'll likely end up with a lot of users who actually think we're the site who charged them, and thus we'd need to explain carefully everything to them everytime they pop up around...