View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #29
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Sam&Max hit the road

This game is too surreal for me. Without a walkthrough thhere is no way I can accomplish it.
Well, after playing Alone in the Dark 1 I realised adventure games is a type of games where you aren't supposed to win without serious meta-knowledge. For example AitD starts with such timed puzzles (two) where you don't have enough time to solve the puzzles if you don't know them before they start to happen!
Not to mention after currently replaying Discworld 1 adventure games seem to have more problematic concepts to their puzzles then just surrealistic associations and timed puzzles (what are especially annoying in textbased games like Hitchikers' Guied to the Galaxy where at the start you have to get the Babel Fish - or you're screwed - from a limited number of tries choosing THE words the program expects - no synonimes accepted -in a very long line of stations for that quest), namely pixelhunting (when items you have to find are very tiny and blend in the background - there was even a game where one of the items was actually exactly 1 pixel large!) and absolute randomness (like after you feel you finished Act2 in Discworld, for some nonsense reason you have to do even more: some impossible to guess actions to actually finish that act).

So when it comes to "easy" adventures like Prisoner of Ice, I find THOSE actually more acceptable, 'cause although PoI also have some seemingly "random puzzle", but at least it does at places where you have only a few choices, and not that kind of insanely large inventory like in the Ultima series where in the first 2 minutes you find so many items like your weight three times in gold.