View Single Post
Old 28-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
dosraider
Dismembered.

If it's all about Mist, here ya go, I created a working combined playdisk/savedisk image from my game:
mist.img - 1.41MB
Mount the image as A:\ in dosbox,
imgmount a x:\path\mist.img -t floppy
Launch game from A prompt with game
you will be able to save the game (9 slots)
Saving is done with ingame save command.
Loading a saved game can be done when launching the game.

As for your questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohne Mitleid View Post
The name of the image file or different drive letters associated with mounting anything make no difference. These are the unanswered questions I have:
- The SAVE files are not written to the virtual img file or the imgmount drive, only to the root drive (c, in this case). Why?
- Is the creation of the SAVE file and recognizing that an alternate disk exists based on the application finding something in the directory listing? I don't understand.
If anyone has any answers, please feel free to post. I just got lucky but would like to know why it worked, if possible.
Thank you!
Ohne
The game is meant to run from floppy drive, in those times the compy was also booted from floppy, remember(or not)?
You needed two disks, both with the OS files on it (command.com etcetera had to be in the root of the floppy), OS files on both disks were obligatory the same, you couldn't have dos 3 on one and dos 5 on the other, so to speak, et blah blah blah some more tech blah blah, bottom line:
saves were always done on A: (or eventually B: if you had two flopdrives)
If I read swell you mounted the image as D:\ , unknown in those days, a D, so that's probably the reason the saves were written on C root, or something , whatever.
To keep it short, even if you run the game from d:\ in dosbox, the game can only write the saves on the root, thus C:\
You should try to doing a normal mount, means mount floppies as A, not as D ,probably ... whatever.
In the ol'dos days drives were:
Floppy A (and B)
HD C
CD D
It's always advisable to use those drive letters.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 28-03-2011 at 11:16 PM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider