View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood-Pigggy View Post
I think I phrase it best when I say, I don't care about the story the game gives you, at the most it's a just a superflous bonus. What I do care about is the story that the game gives you the liberty of forming, so you define your character through what you do and how people react.
Fallout did that, the later Ultimas did that, Arcanum did that, lots of RPGs did that.

Planescape did not do that, everything was immediate and separated. It had a great story, but that got in the way of nearly everything else. They pounded on dialog in order to make their game unique while forgetting that gameplay is the foundation on which the player's personal story is built on.
So, what you are saying is that Planescape had a great story but the level of participation in the story lacked. I can buy that. All the other reviews I have read on Planescape rave about it. What I read people saying about it is that it has a great story, a very interesting game world and not bad voice acting.

This gamespot review pretty much sums up why I am really looking forward to playing it. Is the following statement your chief criticism?

"It's fortunate that Torment's dialogue reads well, because there's a lot of it to read; although the game's graphics are evocative and often beautiful, the game's most vivid events are actually written out rather than portrayed onscreen. You might wish the game had a more frequent tendency to show-not-tell; however, its combination of great graphics and writing is generally very effective."

"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer