View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood-Pigggy View Post
HA HA HA! Coming from someone who has an ULTIMA game's cover as his avatar!

Seriously, the first three Ultimas practically had no story. The early Wizardry games practically had no story. In fact, I can go ahead and say that the entire Wizardry series had really generic stories. The original Baldur's Gate had a shallow story at best, Fallout's plot line was only redeemed by the Master's unique motivations, and for god's sake people, since when did anyone consider the Might & Magic series to have good stories?
Wow where did that come from. Where was I saying anything about Wizardry Or M&M. You are dead wrong about Ultima, however. Maybe the first three weren't as rich as the next three but 4,5 and 6 were some of the best stories ever written for RPG.

Quote:
It is one of the least important elements in an RPG. A singeplayer FPS needs a story to move forward the chain of events, a la Half-Life and its cinematic twist. An adventure game needs a story because that's all an adventure game is. A freaking professional strategy game needs at least a trace of a story to make the conflict make sense.

An RPG? All you need to know is that there's a fantasy/steampunk/modern/whatever setting, and there's a bunch of dangerous things in them and if you kill them you get stronger. Hell, along the way there will be some people you can exploit!

Dialog is incredibly important to the majority of RPGs. Story? Story is a throwaway.

I don't understand the infatuation with it.
Without a good story an RPG will bore me to tears after no more than a few hours. When I get done playing an RPG with a good story I feel sad that it is over. When I finish playing an RPG without a good story I usually feel relieved that it is over. I would venture to say that your opinions are not held by the majority of gamers that have had enough experience in the genre to know better.

Quote:
Let me make this clear.

I WILL NEVER PLAY A GAME THAT ATTEMPTS TO REPLACE GAMEPLAY, READ "GAME-PLAY" THE PRIMARY WORD BEING GAME - WITH A STORY, NO MATTER HOW GOOD. I WANT TO PLAY A GAME, NOT A BOOK.
To each their own. I will always forgive a mechanical flaw if the story compels me to go forward.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer