Thread: Motor City
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #217
AdyDurn

Quote:
Originally Posted by janpeder View Post
Ok, I have played this game quite a lot, and now I just read through this entire thread. First, I have some things to share, and then I have some questions

1: I think it matters how many gears you put on your car (though I'm not completely sure). More gears means it takes longer to produce (assemble) each car.
I've not noticed this correlation myself... having said that, most of my cars always had 3 gears, I will have a look into this and try and confirm this either way...

Quote:
2: There seems to be a correlation between worker speed and factories burning down. If you set worker speed in a production building to FAST, it is more likely to burn down. If you set speed to INHUMAN the building will most likely burn down within a few months.
This I have noticed, and yes, I have to agree

Quote:
3: The weight of engines seems to matter. Heavy engines take more steel to build. Thus, light engines consume the least steel in production and are thus cheaper.

Theoretically, the MAX RPM could also be an important engine parameter, because, combined with the HP parameter, it indicates the torque of the engine. High HP combined with a low MAXRPM would mean an engine with high torque. Also, high HP engines with low RPM would make less noise, which is good. However it is difficult to verify if torque and engine noise is something the car-buyers in the game care about.
One thing you have to remember is that while that is a possibility... HP (as referred to at the time this game is set) is not the same as the HP (or bhp, pf or cv, depending on your nationality) used today... the modern-day power measurements for cars you're right is worked out using the torque of the vehicle, however at the time of the game each manufacturer /guessed/ the power output of the car using the stroke length OR the cylinder bore (rarely both) or by using the gas pressure measured at the exhaust, and other measurements equally as inaccurate... while I think it's right to assume that more HPs equals more power, I would be willing to say that maxRPM has little effect on the game itself....

Quote:

Then I have some questions:
- Do anyone know if the results of car races has any influence on the game. Does winning races make me sell more cars?
I do beleive it does help a lot... in the one game I ran where I didn't take part in the Motorsports I was really struggling to sell cars

Quote:

- In the branch view there is a number indicating market share. I have never gotten this number above 1%. Has anyone else managed to get more than 1% market share? I think there may be a small bug here, because it seems impossible to get it above 1%.
I've managed to get this share all the way up to 40% in the past... although I was churning out cheap small cars... and a large number of them...

EDIT: Spellings
AdyDurn is offline                         Send a private message to AdyDurn