Thread: Loom
View Single Post
Old 19-06-2008, 05:02 AM   #177
Machiavelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loom player View Post
I just thought I'd drop a line to say that I've succeeded in getting the CD version to work with full sound in ScummVM without resorting to even making a single CD image.

This is what I did:

1) Download ScummVM (latest was 0.91 for me now) and install it
2) Download the EGA Loom from Abandonia
3) Download the CD VGA patch and the voice pack from Home of the Underdogs
4) Extract the patch and voice pack to one folder, copy in the EGA version and apply the patch
(NOTE - you don't actually need to have extracted the voice pack to do the patch - if you don't you'll actually just save time)
5) Copy the game files from the "data" folder, as left by the patch (or you could just leave them there even)
6) Copy the mp3 included in the voice pack into the folder where the game files are (you can use the mp3 as-is in the voice-pack, no decoding to wav)
7) rename the mp3 to track1.mp3
8) Run ScummVM and add a new game. Point it at the folder with the game files. Check that it identified it as loom (DOS version).

Now you can play the CD version with full music/speech. The speech and music are mixed together as a CD audio track on the original game and ScummVM is able to use an mp3 directly as the contents of this audio track! Brilliant :brain:

The only thing I will note about the CD version vs. the EGA version is that some dialog has been changed/removed from the CD version. But it looks and sounds so much better I don't think it's a bad tradeoff. Also the text sync with the voice isn't perfect. It's always either too slow or too fast and there's no good middle-ground setting for the text speed, but it's really not serious.

Enjoy!
I've done this and it works great. Only thing is is that the game seems kinda quiet. The music isn't playing all the time like the ega version and there aren't many "sound effects" (music meant to sound like sound effects). Voice acting is really good though, real let down with IndyJ: FoA.
Machiavelli is offline                         Send a private message to Machiavelli