View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
deathshadow

Edited the original post to link to version 1.4 -- most of the changes in this release is incorporating the fixes from the last batch of testing executables, and improving joystick handling by dividing up the two read routines to be called during timer ticks were not a whole lot else is going on. Spacing the two reads apart gives certain joystick interfaces (like that on the PcJr) that fail to discharge the capacitors when they aren't fully charged time to 'normalize' after reading one axis.

Basically if you try on some machines to read X and then immediately read Y the Y value will be all messsed up. Some people check that all bits on the interface are set, however that technique will hang certain machines like the tandy 1000 or a machine with the original PC gamecard if the second joystick isn't plugged in...

So instead of just sitting there waiting, I'm doing roundtable reads -- update the screen, read joystick X, run game logic, read joystick Y... lather, rinse, repeat.

Unless something major comes along as a problem, and unless I figure out why some CGA's meant to drive a LCD don't work with it, this is probably the final release of this game.

In other news, I've started preliminary game logic code for my next release which has the working title "Offense Command" which is going to be a bit more robust a redo/mashup of Moonbugs and the old TRS-80 Model 1 "defense command".

I've also been working on some sprites and animations for it:

If you've played any TRS-80 model 1/3 games some of those may seem like familiar friends.

Last edited by deathshadow; 05-03-2011 at 07:41 PM.
deathshadow is offline                         Send a private message to deathshadow