View Single Post
Old 23-01-2006, 08:32 AM   #9
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

the easiest way to make the games play under dos is to have win 95 or win 98 on your computer. you need to connect them innetwork and then run the dos games you want to play.

for the mentioned games you already got osme alternative solutions that work under win XP. well here are mine:
for ID classics such as doom, doom 2, heretic and hexen you can use ZDoom. search the internet a bit. it's a free utility that makes doom run good under xp or win 2000. so all you would need to do is be in a network.
also if you own openGL graphics card on your game computer (which i think you do) you can try JDoom. this one not only makes the doom work under XP but also gives it cool openGL effects (lighting, smooth textures etc.).

there are some more old games that got their win mod (appliacations that make them run in windows). such as Red alet, maybe even Command and conquer, strife... i suggest you look them up online since they don't take considerably less CPU ussage then DOS emulators.

However if you have two computers with win 98 you simply connect comuters via LAN or null modem (LPT-LPT or COM-COM) and create a newtwork. then you start up the game. usually they had some file to do a network setup where you select connection type, number of players, type of game (deathmatch or cooperative) etc. (e.g. doom had a file called DMSetup.exe)... and off you go playing.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor