View Single Post
Old 17-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #29
Vanshilar
Abandonia nerd

I've uploaded Curse of the Azure Bonds and Jetfighter.

Curse runs okay in Win XP but the battles will move too quickly, so I'd recommend Dosbox. It's critically important that every time you play, you mount the directory in the same way as the first time you run the game, otherwise you'll get an "Unexpected error during save: 3" and be unable to create characters or load saved games. If this happens, you can edit the curse.cfg file manually to be the right directory. For example, if the game is in c:\games\curse\, so the savegames are in c:\games\curse\save\, and you did "mount c c:\games\curse", then the third line of the curse.cfg file should be "C:\SAVE\" since that's the proper directory that the game recognizes. The reason why I'm going over this is that this one detail alone made me unable to play the game for many years!

And of course, to whichever editor reviews the game, know that there's a lot of walkthroughs already available on the web, and of course, google "start STING Wooden" to save yourself some trouble if need be.

For JetFighter, again, it currently hangs at the title screen. The helpfile that came with the game said that if this happens, then use a "pure" version of DOS, so apparently this was an issue even when the game came out. However, I don't know how to set that up in Dosbox. I'll post in the troubleshooting forum to see if someone might know how to get it to work.

Edit: Success! Japo pointed the way to this thread:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=12963

which gives a modified build of Dosbox that emulates some "prefetch queue" stuff of older processors, which makes this game work.

Apparently this game was written for 80386 and older, but more modern 80486 and later processors use different prefetch opcodes or whatnot, so the game doesn't work on those. Dosbox apparently emulates an 80486 so it doesn't work on the standard version of Dosbox.

Last edited by Vanshilar; 18-05-2009 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Update re JetFighter
Vanshilar is offline                         Send a private message to Vanshilar