View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #10
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stroggy @ Feb 12 2007, 07:16 PM) [snapback]278972[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I had to read Elckerlijc (the play which either translated Everyman, or the play on which Everyman is based) last year and translate sections into modern Dutch, which is no easy task as 15th century Dutch is a mixture of Dutch, German and Latin.[/b]
Indeed. I tried to read another late medieval Dutch play earlier this term (Mariken van Nieumeghen, if that rings a bell) because apparently it differs quite a bit from the English version - even more so than Elckerlijc does from Everyman, and it would have been interesting for me because I was looking at dramatic issues. But I failed miserably, of course.

It's been a few years since I read Bleak House, but I remember it was one of my favourite Dickens novels. Not a very "typical" Dickens novel, if there is such a thing (for example he plays with narrative modes a bit, which he doesn't usually do), but nicely structured and overall a good read in my opinion.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles