View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Nyerguds
Game freak

Right, sorry about that.
Anyway... The Covert Operations adds no units. It just adds a bunch of single player & multiplayer maps, a few songs, some videos, and an update of the hidden dinosaur campaign which WW stupidly forgot to add to their later 1.22 update.
(But IMO the update of the dino missions is still just an update, and not part of the Covert Ops. After all, it's perfectly possible to play the hidden missions without the expansion pack after updating to version 1.22)

As for the Covert Ops media... the music is all new, but all videos that are in the Covert Ops also exist in some form embedded in the normal C&C videos, either shown projected on a wall during mission briefings, or with minor changes like the side logos & unit camo colours switched. So I dunno if that really counts as new material...

To actually enable the New Missions list, all that needs to be done is adding a file called EXPAND.DAT in the C&C directory (or one of the game's .mix archives in the directory)
The problem is that the game crashes if the list of New Missions has no scenarios in it.

I could kinda compromise by just adding the 2 missions that were in the public demo of the Covert Ops that WW released, but then there's still one problem left: the DOS version of C&C can play New Missions with the GDI or Nod CD, as long as you don't actually have the Covert Ops installed. This was done to allow people to play the demo missions.
However, the Win95 version doesn't have this exception.

What I could do is make a pseudo-"Covert Operations" ISO created with of nothing but files from the original 2 CDs, the updated dino missions and the Covert Ops demo.

It would remove the 'offensive' Covert Ops material, but still give a working New Missions list, with even some missions in it. Would that be OK?

oh, and David86: The Covert Ops definitely is abandonware. Not freeware, probably not legal to share, but definitely abandoned. I doubt they really realize it exists, otherwise I don't see why they didn't release it with the other 2 ISOs.

Last edited by Nyerguds; 07-01-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Nyerguds is offline                         Send a private message to Nyerguds