View Single Post
Old 19-01-2007, 07:13 AM   #32
carpetsmoker
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Exactly! The days of one man having an idea and doing a whole game programming project from start to finish are long gone (they did exist, but mainly during the 80s).[/b]
I think that whenever it is feasible one man should write a program.
It will keep the program clean, manageable, and fast.

Note that this MUST be a very experienced programmer, if you have a less experienced programmer bugs and mistakes are more likely to creep in, and then there will be no one around to correct him.

Back to the original question.

I think you should start with an idea, not a programming language.

Think of something to program, don't aim to high, something simple (few idea's: text adventure like adventure or trek, a program to catalogue your games/books/comics/whatever, a RSS reader)

In my opinion and experience it's always best to simply solve problems you're having, for example, I wanted to receive RSS newsfeeds in my mailbox, so I wrote a small program to do so, I wanted an automatically updating forum signature, so I wrote a program to do so. ect.

It doesn't really matter in which language you start, basically they're all the same, it's just the syntax that's different.
carpetsmoker is offline                         Send a private message to carpetsmoker