View Single Post
Old 21-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #24
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simoneer View Post
In response to The Fifth Horseman: Yeah, you just described what YOU personally want in an RPG. That doesn't make Diablo less of an RPG, though. We all have things we personally want in any game. Personal freakin' preference. It doesn't... uh... ''factually'' affect anything.
Let's approach the matter from a different angle, then: what makes Diablo an RPG?
Apart from the sticker on the box.

Quote:
I, for one, want to be able to make builds rather than having any attribute points distributed automatically.
Customization isn't restricted to the RPG genre, however. Neither is having an experience/development system.

Quote:
And yes, I want some freedom and choices (that covers a big area; Anything from being able to take different directions in the story itself to deciding if you want to kill someone or not).
My point is that in the roleplaying genre, the action elements are at best secondary.
Consider the very source of the name: Role Playing. Playing a role. That in itself indicates that the "gameplay" is plot-driven and the defining part is the "player" experiencing the setting and storyline, as well as the way he interacts with them.

Quote:
I won't say Final Fantasy isn't an RPG because it lacks manual attribute point distribution, freedom, and choices, however. It's still an RPG. Or, by the modern definition: A JRPG. Still an RPG, though. And it has its depth, especially in the battles.

But by that definition, a game lacking combat element would not be an RPG.
Altough the popularized simplified view of role-playing aims to identify it with an experience system and character statistics, that definition is wrong. Both elements are undisputably common in the genre, but by no means define it.

You could take Fallout, throw out the combat and still have a role-playing game. You could do the same with the experience system and even the stats, and the game would still remain an RPG.

You could take Diablo, throw out the combat... and have what, exactly?
Going around, talking to people using pre-determined dialogue lines and bringing them items they asked for?
That, my friend, would not be role-playing but an adventure game.
Truth is that Diablo is defined by combat - to exclusion of everything else - and lack of the player's interaction with the storyline.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman