View Single Post
Old 17-07-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
omg
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by moogle@Jul 17 2005, 05:20 AM
but my Record player doesn't hook up to my computer, and players are hard to find, because lets face it, records are old and outdated.
strange. clearly no one has told technics or vestax that little gem of wisdom.
or the record shop owners either. or the people responsible for hmvs vinyl section.....
or for that matter the fact that spectral analasis shows vinyl to have a richer bass end. (just it loses it a bit as the record ages)

as for making backups of your records, nice and easy. even a bog standered soundcard has an audio in, just get a twin phono to minijack lead and woohoo. there is freeware out there that will enable you to remove any static crackle noises. although one problem is the lack of phono premap on your average pc soundcard. however creative do a cool little usb thang which is just a phono in with a phono preamp. willset u back 20-30 bucks. +comes with all the recording and restoration software you will need.
another way is to plug your record player into a graphic eq, or use the aux out from your stereo. or use a mixer. if your stereo has an aux out and its a good clean sounding stereo use that rather than plugging straight into your pc and joy shall be yours. also use a clean eq setting when recording. some old records i pitch up a tiny bit on my deck just to make em sound sharper. but thats a case of preference i guess.
as for should emulations be legal, erm, what?
a midi file of an old classical arrangement is legal. an mp3 of a modern recording is not.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg