View Single Post
Old 10-02-2005, 02:08 AM   #29
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Entropy missiles are overated. As soon as you will equip your squaddies with personnal shield you will never fear those again. When they hit a shield they don't do progressive damage, only hit once and bring the shield to about 2/3 or so. Also entropy missiles are guided to their target and it's extremely easy to lure a missile in a wall, an object or even sometime another Alien.

For the shields, you can actually carry more than one shield at a time. I don't remember well but I think that only one work at a time. If it fails then it get destroyed so I remember dropping the shields to the ground when they were about to die. By doing so only a grenade or something with enough explosive power could destroy the shield when it's on the ground and if you win the mission the shield will return as loot just like any other equipment at the end of the mission. Plus shields regenerate over time so if you find yourself low on shield just return back where you left it and you should have it back on full strenght. Either that or keep rotating soldiers with low shield to the back row so they can regenerate and keep those with still strong shield to the front so they soak up the damage.

Shields are also overated. They are not that hard to overcome and you can easily kill Aliens without damaging the shield with bio-toxins guns. I hardly ever need to make some myself once I get those guns. Usually I always have many in reserve.

If you want a destroyed city it's up to you but I myself hate to see highways destroyed and waiting forever for them to be rebuilt and to be able to get those new recruits to my bases... I never really noticed if the UFO destroying the city bring organizations to your side but I do know that it goes against your weekly score so I always tryied to have the city damaged to a minimum. This include as well my crafts than the UFO's. It really depend on your style since I usually don't kill UFO's unless it's needed or easily downed. By the end of the game it's something else though and your strategy should change accordingly.

Answer: if you overcycle your DOSBox then it will begin to go slower after reaching your CPU max power peak. You might experience sound sluttering too if you do so.