Thread: Barbarian
View Single Post
Old 18-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
Sashanan

Ahh. This hails back to an era when games were about memorization. There wasn't a trap in this game that you'd find in any other way than by falling into it, then trying to remember which tile not to step on the next time. I remember this game was punishing even by the standards of its time, however.

I played it again recently and found I'm still decent at it, although I still die to enemies too often when the Barbarian randomly decides to use a slow overhead swing (you cannot control which attack he uses when you mash the button, and some just take longer than others). I didn't get to the point where I was stuck as a kid, either; some mage type that your arrows pass right through, and that I only managed to get past once by running at him, somersaulting over his fireball and then falling into a bottomless pit in the room right after him, with no other way to go.

I never figured out what I was *supposed* to do, either. Maybe he was some sort of final boss and you actually had to get up close and hit him with the sword, or block the fireball with that shield you pick up later on, or whatever. I think I had 78% completion at the time. Nowadays, I don't have the patience for old school gameplay that I used to, so I don't think I'll ever find out.