View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 01:36 AM   #3
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

In a flash of inspiration I tried to clean them with baby wipes. They work brilliantly on the smooth white leather parts of the shoe, on the sides and at the toe. They're not so effective on the edges of the sole, as it's heavily textured and I can't get into the grooves where most of the dirt is. I tried using it on the green bits, and I was taking off quite a lot of mud (judging from the colour of the wipe after a bit of scrubing) but I stopped as I thought I saw a hint of green in in what I was wiping off, and taking the dye out is what I fear most in the washing process.

I'll try using a wet cloth on the sides of the sole. That should work.

EDIT: Ah ha, I was just googling around I found a piece of advice suggesting that I wrap the shoes in towels to prevent damage and set the water temperature to cold in order to protect the dyes.

The wet cloth worked quite well on the edges of the sole, btw, but not realy well (still not white) and the tongue of the shoe is a big mass of fabric and foam impregnated with mud, I don't think that any sort of scrubbing will sort that out. It's time to bite the bullet I guess.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell