View Single Post
Old 24-10-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
The Spider Mastermind
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chainsoar @ Oct 24 2006, 07:04 PM) [snapback]263339[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Is it just me or are video games these days with monsters and so on all over the place just not scary in the slightest? When was the the last time you played a new game that made you jump? Maybe this is ridiculous coming from a 19 year old - a supposed adult, but yesterday, I was playing Blood and I couldn't help but jump when a zombie suddenly popped up and started trying to kill me. Also, I will not deny that Doom 2 still makes me a little bit scared. Am I alone in this?
[/b]
No you're not.
It's not scary when you know there's going to be a highly polished, 3d rendered, inside-out demon like thing for you to kill around every corner.
What's scary is when you go around 5 corners without seeing anything, you start to get aprehensive, and then you go 'round another, and there's nothing, and then another, and then... one comes from an alcove behind you because you're too busy thinking about what's around the next corner. This also means that lower difficulties can actually be scarier because there's usually less bad guys.
It's all about building an atmosphere, and older games are (generally) better at it.
The last new (2000 or later) game that scared me was Return to Castle Wolfenstien.
The Spider Mastermind is offline                         Send a private message to The Spider Mastermind