View Single Post
Old 26-07-2005, 04:48 PM   #33
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Probably none that YOU want to play but still many many games.
I completely agree with you. I simply don't see what your quote have to do with expectations and recommendations, what my first quote was about.

Quote:
I have a good computer and it runs (on default settings) a lot of the games poorly. I prefer using VDMS as it runs perfect..except no window mode..

I have an AMD 3200+, 1gig Ram, Radeon 9800XT 256MB...

So you'd think games would run decent on the default settings..but they don't..and I don't really know how to set em..and..I use D-Fend.
I think I have a computer rather similar to yours (tough I'm no computer expert, I don't know for sure how fast a 3200+ CPU is.) and, as the first person I quoted said 2 posts above, a lot of games run perfectly fine with DOSBox default configuration, and this on really lower machines than us.

The key reference to keep track of in this is that DOSBox emulate a lot of stuff. So, basically, when you turn DOSBox on it emulates everything a 486 machine used in the days without exception. Since emulating require a lot of CPU ressources, this is why we just can't really emulate higher than a "good 486". And even then, you still need a good machine to raise the cycles high enough to get to a "good 486". This is why I always recommend at least 1gigahertz if you want to use DOSBox.

Now, for the games which doesn't run "decently" on DOSBox... Recently I bought Conquest of the New World and it came with the full box and manual etc. When I tryied to play it with DOSBox, it worked... But not good enough to really be enjoyable. The cinematics are very choppy and the game is very slow, even at max cycles my computer can throw. The reason is very simply tough; if you look at my box, it says the game can be run on a 486... But Pentium is heavily recommended!

As I remember playing Conquest of the New World both on a good 486 and a Pentium back in the old days... I can tell you that the emulation of DOSBox is rather perfectly accurate, tough uninteresting...