View Single Post
Old 25-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #3328
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
I know this is true, I have seen it happen in youtube videos and what not, but I always seem to be the lucky guy with the smart crysalids looking at him. Often the crysalid will not be satisfied with one zombie minion, it will often tag two or even three of my guys with it's infection before finnally running out of turn units. Since the infect skill doesn't seem to be a weapon, I don't think it uses turn units like a normal attack. As a result, as long as you are in the walking range of the bugger you are dead. Hence my conclusion flying suit > Chrysalid.
As I said, the AI for the Aliens is quite weak. Just try to wait it out instead of rushing in and you'll realize that the Aliens come for you by themselves after enough turns passed rather than the opposite. And if you are in a close area without checking first then it is your own fault for getting caught off guard. Once you understand how the Aliens "think" you can very easily make good educated guesses at where they are and how to act and react. And this is where destroying specific walls with guns (I like autoshots for this) to "clear" buildings with sightings work great. With autoshots you can often destroy the wall and then have the remaining shots hit or kill the Aliens behind.

The way the Chrysalid zombie attack works is that if it kills one of your soldiers with a melee attack then it will automatically turn into a zombie. And their melee attacks are devastating. It is critically important not to enter melee with them in the very beginning of the game as you have no armor whatsoever and thus no protection. Later on, even the first armor is good enough protection to sustain a single hit and sometimes several hits if you are lucky.

Flying suits of course protect you from their melee attacks... But that's a very long way down the game. At that moment Chrysalids will be the least of your problems.

Quote:
Bazookas, rockets and the like, are in my opinion brilliant support weapons. Give them to the noob in your squad to garuntee an easy promotion. They are usually stuck in the back anyway and not much use if you only use a fraction of your squad. When Etherials and mindcontrol start becomming an issue I will never even look at a rocket launcher again, but until then I can use it to clear the terrain and blow away any aliens thinking cover is a good idea. The issue with punching through with beam is that it only takes away one square of terrain, and sometimes less than that. If you want the building intact for personal use that's great but if you just want to clear out the aliens... BOOOM. Accuracy is also not an issue as you can aim at the ground instead.
Maybe in the grand scheme of things Rockets aren't worth the effort. But they are alot more fun.
The fact that they are way more fun is really undeniable... However, there really is a lot of downsides. One of those downsides is that it create smoke and fire, which in turn create more smoke... And Aliens love to hide in smoke as it hinder your vision more than it hinder them. Ever been in a situation in which the Aliens fire and you cannot see them? That kind of situation increase dramatically the chances that you end up with a dead squaddie since it get really out of your control.

Field of vision is really important in this game. You need to be able to spot enemies easily and fast, preferably before they spot you. If they need to spot you first then they expand TU before being in a position to shoot, which mean fewer pot shots at your own soldiers while you bring your full force once your turn begin. If you don't seem them then you get vulnerable and this is tenfold worse against units like Chrysalids. Once you get in close quarter with them you are pretty much dead meat.

Also... A squaddie with a rocket launcher will almost never fire on reaction. I would not want a squaddie to fire randomly on reaction fire anyways, to be frank. This mean that it will never train its reaction stat, which also mean that it will always sit and do squat when they are in range of an enemy and still have UT left to shoot. How reaction fire work is that the Alien need to have less TU left than the soldier have reaction fire for it to be able to shoot back... So if that number is low it will rarely trigger at all. I would not want my squaddies to train this way, reaction fire is way too important in this game.

Quote:
Not yet, but I will when the time comes. Although I might buy the playstation version of Terror from the deep. I generally perfer owning a disk to having a copy stored on my computer. And while retro gaming consoles have taken off, I haven't seen anystore attempt to resell computergames.
Can't really help you here... However, a piece of advice: finish UFO before moving up to TftD. It is practically the same except that TftD is way harder and also actually have a decent grenade AI. In UFO you'll have an Alien toss a grenade to you once in a blue moon. In TftD, it is a dozain times a mission if you give them the opportunity. Really change a lot of things.

Quote:
What do you not like about the game? I assumed the incomplete beta status excused the interface, for now. And I don't like how it has a variety of weapons, but it is missing most of the basic X-com arsenal.
just Curious...
I didn't like UFO 2000 because I have always pictured UFO as being some kind of Laser Squad variant. You get guys with guns and you exchange fire in an urban environment, or somewhere with a lot of cover, etc. A while ago there was a UFO 2000 tournament hosted here and I discovered very fast that the modified weapons can get very, very ugly very fast. In short, build a team consisting of spotters and one or two grenade launchers with flying suits... Have the grenade launchers sit tight at one side of the map while your spotters find the enemies and then have the launchers lob grenades from one side of the map to the other. The end.

I didn't find it interesting as far as gameplay goes.