View Single Post
Old 24-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #3327
Chrysalids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
I have never understood why so many people have trouble with the Chrysalids. That particular terror unit is ranked quite low in my "scary list" in this game. Its long range attack is somewhere between completely useless and impractical and the AI is so weak that it usually simply run in circle without really attacking you, even after seemingly charging you.
I know this is true, I have seen it happen in youtube videos and what not, but I always seem to be the lucky guy with the smart crysalids looking at him. Often the crysalid will not be satisfied with one zombie minion, it will often tag two or even three of my guys with it's infection before finnally running out of turn units. Since the infect skill doesn't seem to be a weapon, I don't think it uses turn units like a normal attack. As a result, as long as you are in the walking range of the bugger you are dead. Hence my conclusion flying suit > Chrysalid.
Quote:
The first thing which you should reconsider is using very heavy weapons like bazookas. It is bulky, weight a ton and a half and you need to spend a lot of the small amount of TU you have left to reload... Which usually mean a rate of fire of about one shot every two turns. That's more than pathetic considering that once you get anything even slightly more powerful than your starting riffles you can punch thru about any building in one shot. Heck, even the heavy cannon and the autocannon can punch thru a wall without much of a problem. Not to mention grenades.
Bazookas, rockets and the like, are in my opinion brilliant support weapons. Give them to the noob in your squad to garuntee an easy promotion. They are usually stuck in the back anyway and not much use if you only use a fraction of your squad. When Etherials and mindcontrol start becomming an issue I will never even look at a rocket launcher again, but until then I can use it to clear the terrain and blow away any aliens thinking cover is a good idea. The issue with punching through with beam is that it only takes away one square of terrain, and sometimes less than that. If you want the building intact for personal use that's great but if you just want to clear out the aliens... BOOOM. Accuracy is also not an issue as you can aim at the ground instead.
Maybe in the grand scheme of things Rockets aren't worth the effort. But they are alot more fun.
Quote:
Cydonia is the end of UFO... And the deep sea is TtdD. I'm not sure I understand why you mention them. Already moving from one to the other?
Not yet, but I will when the time comes. Although I might buy the playstation version of Terror from the deep. I generally perfer owning a disk to having a copy stored on my computer. And while retro gaming consoles have taken off, I haven't seen anystore attempt to resell computergames.

Quote:
UFO 2000 is simply a clone which primarily aim is to allow multiplayer play. I don't really like it either and I don't mean only the graphics.
What do you not like about the game? I assumed the incomplete beta status excused the interface, for now. And I don't like how it has a variety of weapons, but it is missing most of the basic X-com arsenal.
just Curious...

Sorry for the uber long post replies but after reading your complaint about the game discussion forum getting off topic I decided, "hey why not?"