Thread: Star Control 2
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 04:24 AM   #221
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gamer View Post
maybe it's my nostalgia talking, but this game deserves a higher user rating! I loved this game when it came out and still do.
The best thing to do right off is to go to Earth and do what the starbase commander suggests.
Also, get the Urquan Masters port and all the extras for it! You won't run into so many technical problems. This is one of the few old games I come back to time and again to play, it's just awesome! So be sure to send your petition to get the original creators to make a sequal, thanks!
Sadly enough, most games on Abandonia get a 3.x rating despite being brilliant. Personally, this is definitely a 5/5 game as it's a perfect example of how the early 90s inspired original yet deep games.

I do prefer the original DOS version because it's just more nostalgic.

There was a sequel to this game though: Star Control 3. Released some 12 years ago I believe. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't on par with SC2's brilliance. The humour wasn't as good, the brilliant MOD music of SC2 was replaced with more generic music, the story was poor (especially what they did to the legendary Precursors :mad: ) and the slightly tilted melee combat view made combat more frustrating and less fun.
red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar