View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #24
Grindstone

I did that (given that Roster.dta is the character file).

Game isn't that hard to play though, not when you're familiar with the Might & Magic series. I'm playing with the standard classes now, though I have a feeling that Knight/Robber/Cleric/Cleric/Sorcerer/Sorcerer might be more effective. Reasons:

- A lot of spells even at higher levels only cost spell points, not gems

- Spells are cheap. A 5th level Sorcerer spell for example that deals 5-50 points of acid damage to all monsters only costs 5 spell points. My level 1 sorcerer with 19 Intellect already has 8 spell points

- Clerics have better armor than either Robbers OR Archers, with chain mail + shield. They have just as many hit points as Robbers (1-8), and only very slightly fewer than Paladins and Archers (1-10)

- Only the first two characters are involved in melee combat (usually). So actually Knight/Knight/Robber/Cleric/Sorcerer/Sorcerer might be good too.

Knights seem to rule over every other class in melee because only they seem to get multiple attacks Paladins and Archers seem fairly useless at the start, the manual doesn't say when they will begin to cast spells but I guess it would take some time to get there.

Now I think my K/R/C/C/S/S party would do pretty well. But some things in this game could make it hard for magic users:

- lots of squares where magic doesn't work. I've already seen some in the maze under Sorpigal, and there are certainly more in the game, though I don't know how many really

- lots of places where you can't rest at all or where you have to fight a lot of consecutive battles before you can rest

- lots of monsters that are resistant/immune to magic or elemental damage. I know a lot of monsters in the later MM games had high magic resistances

It would be good if someone who has played through the game could give some insight here
Grindstone is offline                         Send a private message to Grindstone