Thread: Abandonware
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 04:24 PM   #20
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

...good things never die...

Long before DOS games became abandoned there were C64 games. And they're still popular. There are many people on different C64 forums talking about games, playing them, enjoying them, exchanging them (and at least half of them isn't old enough to even know what a C64 was!).

The fact is - people like to have fun! And games = fun!!! One of the biggest surprises came to me when I started teaching at an elementary school, that kids love C64 games. I put an emulator and children who were used to GTA Vice City 2, Fifa 2004, Mortal Kombat 4, Neighbours from Hell, Sims and so on... They really loved playing games like Methamorphosis - the Creator's revange (a small tank shooting at anything that comes in site while being able to move only left and right).

Also cell phones have games that were really simle in the begining, but are getting ever bigger (soon regular DOS games will be available on the cell phone).

And if the game has quality it will survive!

Just the other day one pupil challenged me to a game of MK2. He was an expert for MK4 and loved part 4, but saw that MK2 is much better and easier on the eyes. I beat the crap out off him - and now they cought the DOS virus! It was very simular with Stunts.

So don't worry, they won't die out. But like with many other things - when people aren't making comertials for them the number of people interested in such stuff starts falling.

I read an article about Elvis fans. The writer of the article got concerned that the cult of Elvis is going to die, because the average age of a Preslay fan is getting bigger and bigger (sure less and less new fans). But do you really think that his music will be forgotten? Is Scott Joplin's music forgoten? Is Nat "King" Cole's music forgotten?
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos