View Single Post
Old 17-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrybKeeper View Post
To top that off, any game that is still abandonware, will not mount to DosBox in Vista. Maybe I need to do some research into why this is? Every game I download, has no EXE file in it. Even when I find some obscure EXE file and dragNdrop to DB, it gives an error. trying to execute them without DB doesn't work either, as the file formats are not recognized. I am not very attached to Vista and this is a temp machine, until we get moved into the new house.
I recommend that you ask on the Troubleshooting board for each individual game (one thread each).

Every game has at least one executable (.EXE/.COM) and almost always it's very obvious, or at most there are more than one candidate. If you see this error message, the file format does get recognized as not working in 64-bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Remember, though, that drag & drop is not recommended for multiple reasons.
It's not recommended by you, it's recommended by others including Qbix and yours truly. The only difference is if the game was installed so that it won't run from C:\, but it's both possible to make this work with drag'n drop, and to get it wrong with any other method. In the latest DOSBox versions even the dosbox-0.xx.conf file is parsed (which isn't always desirable while troubleshooting, as the first step must be to reset DOSBox to defaults).