Thread: Video problem
View Single Post
Old 23-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Japo
Autonomous human

EDIT: Death Gate is OK for me: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15818997/dgate_001.avi
Make sure you try setting the DOSBox configuration to default. Use the "reset options" shortcut in the start menu, back up the .conf file beforehand if you want. And first of all try re-installing the codec (from the start menu too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
Cool, are you sure is free ?
Yep, I have it right here. It's a subset of Expression Studio, and it has less options that the encoder tool of the Studio. For example for output codec you're stuck with WMV, anyway if it's for YouTube choose a high quality since they'll be converting it a second time. Too bad you can't keep the output at lossless ZMBV, I think with the paid Studio you'd be able.

Bro tip: the codec used by DOSBox is lossless, but when transcoding to anything else artifacts will appear; and the point is that when resolution is very low, pixels will be big and artifacts will be accordingly big, resulting in a very poor result even at high quality settings. The solution is to scale the video.

In principle you should scale according to integer ratios to avoid loss. But you can make the same aspect correction that DOSBox can do ([render]aspect), since in the old PC resolutions 320x200 and 640x400 pixels weren't mean to be square.

So regardless of the initial resolution (320x200, 640x400 or 640x480) select 640x480 as output resolution, stretching, no letterboxing. This has the added benefit that YouTube won't have to scale it further, which would result in more loss.

Last edited by Japo; 23-02-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo