Thread: Alien Legacy
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #28
Harleqwyn

Found this game after needing a Starflight/StarCon2/Space sci-fi fix. So far the mix of plot, exploration and colonization is fairly engrossing, although the interface could have been better with all the micromanagement required. Spoilers ahead...

I have started facing the Empiant threat. It seems the threat doesn't appear until Gamma1 roars to life. This has worked out well for me in the following way. I avoided destroying pylons because I trusted my science advisor more. I thought the mutagen would remove the biota threat, but it didn't. Later I got the muffler, but it triggered Gamma1 off. So I have been surviving by shooting the biota myself, which was bloody tedious. Luckily I got the bomb next, so muffling+bombing Gamma1 took care of that.

At this point I have a small stockpile of missiles, a few armour and laser upgrades, and about 60 ships. I reached this point by not dealing with Gamma1 until I had the bomb. But, it looks like the Empiants are vicious! By playing ahead on a dummy save I found that they are much less so if there are no humans on SSCronus. But eventually I need to build labs on SCronus, and then I can't avoid the attacks.

I think I can delay somemore and build more ships. But I find that when my ships are engaging the Empiants, the missile stock at the nearest colony disappears fast. This is a real pain when each ship can only carry one missile, and I need my ships to fight the buggers. Is there a way to transport missiles in bulk? Or am I doomed to losing many ships? Massing them off Cronus doesn't really help reduce losses.

BTW a small tip: send probe ships with human pilots to the Beta asteroids. Cost me 10 ships to learn this the hard way...