View Single Post
Old 01-08-2005, 06:01 AM   #13
Galadrin
Abandonia nerd

Sorry for how long it took me to reply, I've been a bit busy. I have installed the third Thief game and it seems... different. I loved the first two thief games, their depth of missions, the plot development, the way the Dark engine was just so... well, dark. The third one seems to have been developed for the X-box crowd though, shadows are no longer really black (they're now blue?!?), the first person perspective leaves me feeling like I've been playing the original Wolfenstein 3D due to it's narrow perspective, which isn't so bad when you play in 3'rd person perspective but that takes away from those tense moments when you were waiting in the shadows for a guard to blackjack him or her, but it also makes leaning useless (and what's up with the full body lean?) and, to my dismay, expert level now lets you kill guards (not that you are forced to... yet). I'll finish the game before I cast final judgement, but so far this seems to be a clumsy attempt to recreate one of the most dexterous series made.

Thief one and two are two of the best first person games I've ever played, up there with the System Shock series, The Elder Scrolls series and the Ultima Underworld series (coincidence perhaps that three of these games were made by Looking Glass? Maybe I'm just a fanboy... I love Terra Nova too) The first two games had a depth and intensity of plot that I have not seen in any game (at least not off the top of my head ) to date. Game play in them was excellent, (if you really don't like zombie missions play Thief 2, Zombies only appear in two missions I believe... ghosts and haunts are another matter though... and you'll miss out on the scene where Garrett loses his eye) and leaves you wanting more. Quite literally; in fact there is a fan expansion for Thief 2 called Shadows of the Metal Age that is complete with movies... though you'll want a broadband to pull down this 700MB monster (if you're interested links can be found at www.thief-thecircle.com). To say too much about any thief game would be to give away the lovely surprises though, and those are what really keeps you coming back for more Thief; well, the surprises and the last stupid 150 loot. k:

Spoiler: Zombies can be killed with holy water arrows, flash bombs, mines and fire arrows. Haunts can be killed with all of the above and even something as easy as a backstab, the twisted priests also go down hard to a nice backstab. What can I say, I play too much D&D to let undead live.
Galadrin is offline                         Send a private message to Galadrin