Thread: Master of Orion
View Single Post
Old 17-11-2006, 05:07 AM   #136
Maven

Ahhh the MOO. One of my old favorites.

Some of the things that were unusual about MOO. The tech tree being randomized the way it was, made apprehending techs by spying and invasion much more important. I think this was the single thing I missed in MOO2. I mean with all the Civ clones only MOO in my experience did this.

How the computer chose what techs you would get, as I remember... Each race(except Psilons) had a 50% chance to get each tech, with a gauranteed of at least 1 tech in each science for every 5 levels.

MOO also had one of the best(if not the best) strategy guides. A strategy guide that didn't just tell you how to win, but actually broke down some of nuances of the game. It even had an argument large vs small ships, with neither a clear winner, but both having their uses.

other stuff...

Give a technology away to each race, it will give you a permanent diplomacy boost. Only the first one works like this, subsequent ones only give an immediate boost.

some of those 32000 stacks of ships are from an integer error.

I still have my strategy guide but I don't own the first game any more as the disks died years ago. Not sure about the manual. I kept MOO2 because it could be played on just the HD with a special installation.

Oh and Acendancy was just came up cold in my opinion.

Maven

No one will ever win the battle of the sexes, there is too much fraternizing with the enemy. . .attributed to kissenger or churchhill
Maven is offline                         Send a private message to Maven